środa, 3 października 2012


Is Week 2 of teaching really already complete?  Time is flying here in Bemowo!

 

This week I got a MUCH bigger taste of my teaching duties at Warsaw 306 and was able to escape for an amazing weekend getaway to Torun.  The week started out with a healthy dose of the younger children at school…and it still amazes me how nice everyone is!  Hugs and hallway “hellos” are more commonplace here than anywhere I’ve been in the US. 
 
During our classes we did the now-standard “Intro to Allyson” lessons where the kids got to ask me questions (in English!) about where I’m from, what I like to do, what my favorite food is, etc.  The kids were shy at first – with the exception of the Grade 1 youngsters – but after a few minutes everyone got involved.
 
Once Thursday came, it was time to depart on my first weekend trip during my time here in Poland.  This weekend’s destination was…Torun!  Beata, the fantastic volunteer mentor at school, is from Torun and I jumped at the chance to visit her hometown after her selfless promotion of the city during our downtime at school.
 
…and Torun didn’t disappoint!


Hello, Torun!


I was supposed to travel with a couple other Lattitude Volunteers, but after last minute conflicts came up with them, I was left to go solo up to Torun.  Not to worry, though – I had my tripod in tow and a strong desire to see the whole of Poland – I was excited for the weekend either way.
 
I arrived mid-afternoon on Friday and returned to Warsaw on Sunday morning.  My absolute favorite part of Torun was the Leaning Tower!  Not only is the obvious slant of the building something to behold, but I met an American couple while in line to take a picture!  Jan and Carol were there names; and they hail from Portland, Oregon.  We chatted for nearly an hour outside of the Leaning Tower before parting ways so I could explore the city.



My new American friends!



On Day 2 I knocked off the usual tourist destinations in Torun’s Old Town.  The Town Hall Clock Tower (scary to climb!), Copernicus House (neat to step foot in his home!), exploring the Teutonic Castle ruins, and the Church of The Virgin Mary were only a few of the highlights!



Prowling around the Teutonic Ruins…

After a fantastic weekend up North, I returned to Warsaw mid-morning on Sunday to the big celebration of my host-Dad’s Names Day!  The entire family – Michal’s parents, aunt, brother and sister-in-law – joined us for a feast of chocolate cake, fruit and…Torun gingerbread!

 

It was a fantastic week and weekend.  Here’s to more fun to come in Week 3!

 

Cheers,

Allyson

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz