niedziela, 22 lutego 2015

Week 3

In most of my classes last week we did a big, interactive cultural quiz called 'Jeopardy' with the kids. I based in on Canada, America, New Zealand and Australia as they are the countries Warsaw 306 has had volunteers from in the past. It was lovely to see all the classes become very involved in the competition and I have to say my favourite moments were the ones were students screwed up their faces, desperately trying to recall facts that previous volunteers had taught them. Then of course there were the excited yells as they got the correct answer, or the disappointment when a teammate knew the answer to a question but didn't have the courage to speak up.

Thursday was 'Fat Thursday', an entirely new phenomenon for me. I thought I'd pushed the boat out by having three doughnuts (and feeling very sick that night!), but as it turns out, one of the volunteers had twelve... I can't imagine how he felt!

As I mentioned last week, I headed off to Krakow with some friends over the weekend and it was an experience to say the least. On Friday we visited Auschwitz and I'm struggling to put into words how it felt. Emotionally draining and clarifying is probably the best description for me. Then on Saturday we did a free walking tour of the Old Town and were able to see what a beautiful city Krakow is and just how different the architecture is to that of Warsaw. On the social side of things, I really enjoyed seeing some of my friends who aren't placed in Warsaw but didn't enjoy meeting certain travellers who were staying in the same hostel as us... I'll leave that there.




Jessica:)

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz